This is a really good granola that I nearly always have in the cupboard. It isn’t too sweet because it is an everyday healthy go to option. You can add dark chocolate chips to add another layer either to your own bowl in the morning, or into the whole jar.
450g of porridge oats
2 handfuls of chopped almonds (skins on)
3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
3 tablespoons of raisins
3 tablespoons dried cranberries
a handful of coconut flakes
a handful or two of dark chocolate chips (essential!)
150ml real maple syrup
2 tablespoons of sunflower oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Baking and measurement note – If you have a tray that is the width of your oven, the quantities in this recipe allow for all the granola to be cooked on that tray. If your oven tray is smaller you may have to do it in two goes.
- Preheat oven to 160c /fan 140c.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Toast your coconut flakes on the tray – don’t leave the oven for this – takes about 3 minutes. Once done, set aside for later.
- Add oats, chopped nuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds to a mixing bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a saucepan and put on a low heat. (This is just to loosen the honey up and makes it easier for mixing.)
- Tip saucepan of wet ingredients into your oat mixture and combine well.
- Spread onto the lined baking tray.
- Pop into oven and turn/ mix every 12 minutes until lightly golden. Be particularly careful of outer edges which tend to brown first. This should take about 30-45 minutes, pending your oven. Use a timer to remind you to mix for even browning!)
- Once cool add your raisins, cranberries, coconut flakes and if using, chocolate chips and mix.
- Store in airtight container.
Handy Tip: Cut the parchment so that there is approx excess 2 inches on each side of the tray. This will make it easier then to lift and funnel straight into your mason jar when cooled.