Regular vegetable soup can get a little bit tiresome especially as the winter progresses so this is a snazzy soup to mix things up. The colour is fantastic and a great one if you are having people over and the flavour packs a punch! You don’t have to chop oodles of carrots and potatoes either – once you pour in your bag of frozen peas, it is ready about 5 minutes later! Can’t go wrong with this one in your repertoire!
What You Need
- 50g butter (or 2 tbspn sunflower oil for a vegan soup)
- 1 medium size onion – chopped
- 1 green or red chilli – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped
- Small handful of coriander (to give 2 chopped tablespoons)
- 450g peas
- 750ml chicken/veg stock
- Salt, pepper, small pinch of sugar
What You Do
- Melt your butter over a low/medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add your chopped onion, chilli and garlic and ensure all the ingredients are covered in butter. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Sweat over a low heat (lid on) for about 5 minutes until vegetables have softened.
- Add your peas and stir followed quickly by your boiling stock.
- Bring to the boil again and once boiling remove lid (to help retain the bright green colour in the peas). Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped coriander and a small pinch of sugar and blend.