This Honey & Co. dessert is a must try. It is so simple and only calls for five ingredients: chocolate, butter, sugar, eggs and cardamom, which brings a warmth and sophistication to an otherwise standard mousse.
If you need convincing here are 10 reasons why you must make this. (If I had you at chocolate, shoot straight to the recipe below):
- It is sophisticated enough for a dinner party
- You can make it a day in advance
- It only requires 5 ingredients
- It’s no-bake
- It’s gluten-free
- Easy to make
- The recipe doubles well
- A little goes a long way
- Between weighing ingredients and doing the wash up it takes under 30 minutes
- It is totally delicious and a real crowd pleaser!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 150g best quality dark chocolate (I use callebaut and a combo of 70% & 30%)
- 75g butter (I use Kerrygold, of course)
- 100g soft dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
Method (See below for a couple of pics & vids below as I shot some instagram stories along the way. )
- First melt the chocolate, butter & cardamom in a glass bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. (Tip – don’t let the bottom of the bowl touch the boiling water)
- In a food mixer, whisk eggs & sugar together until thick and foamy and pale yellow in colour. This part takes a few minutes so be patient. The mixture should triple in size. During this time get your washing done, set the table, read an article or make a cup of tea while the machine does the hard work.
- Fold the melted chocolate into the egg mixture. (The recipe in the book doesn’t say this but I get a bit paranoid about the eggs scrambling when eggs and warm chocolate coming together – to avoid this add a couple of tablespoons of egg mixture into the chocolate first to temper it and then slowly add back all of the chocolate mixture in and fold.)
- Pour into a serving dish & cover. Refrigerate for 2 hours to set.
Tip – This works even better served in individual teacups or ramekins as it holds really well. To finish you could add a couple of flakes of sea salt or a quenelle of creme fraiche & a mint leaf to finish.
Instagram Stories: Glossy melted chocolate, butter & cardamom
Eggs and sugar whisked up until pale, thick and foamy.
Carefully fold through the chocolate (don’t give in to whimpering dog who wants to lick the spoon!)
Let it set for 2 hours and enjoy!